Indian Lentils and Yummy Spinach Side Dish
Last week I had the pleasure of attending a dinner with my husband at a friend’s house. It was an authentic Indian dinner which included four types of lentils, goat briyani, a chicken dish, rice and homemade flat bread. I have dined at many well reviewed restaurants and this, by far, was the best Indian food I have ever tasted! The week has gone by and I can’t seem to get the tasty lentils out of my head. I made a version today that has satiated my craving but Sweta’s was still the best.
Here’s my vegan version……
1 cup red lentils
1 sweet onion
1 tomato, chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped
1/4 t turmeric
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t ground coriander
2 t peanut oil
1 t cumin seeds
1/2 t black mustard seeds
1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
salt to taste
1. add lentils, onion, tomato, jalapenos, turmeric, cumin and coriander to pot and add 4 cups of fresh water to a saucepan. Simmer and cook for approximately 30 minutes or until lentils are soft and falling apart.
2. in a skillet heat oil and add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and wait until they start to “pop”
3. add the sweet onion to the cumin seed, mustard seed mixture and stir until onion starts to brown.
4. add seasoned onion mixture to the lentils. Add salt to taste.
*Serve with bread such as naan.
Spinach with Turnips
2 small turnips peeled and finely diced
1 bunch of fresh spinach
1/2 t chili powder
1/2 t salt
1 T peanut oil
2 inch piece of ginger, minced
1 onion, finely chopped
juice of 1 lemon
1. Add one cup of water to a skillet. Add chopped turnips and cook until tender. Add spinach until fully wilted. Stir in the chili powder and salt. Mash with a potato masher. Toss it into a bowl. Wipe down the pan.
2. Add oil to the pan and heat on medium until hot. Add ginger and onion. Saute 2 minutes. Stir in the mash veg and mix well. Add lemon juice, toss well and serve at once.