Quick and Easy Pasta with Green Peas and Onions
We arrived home last night and did not have much in the house to prepare for dinner. We were too tired to go to the store to purchase ingredients to cook so we improvised with what we had on hand and it turned out to be really good.
1 pound whole grain pasta (shells)
1 T Olive Oil
1 1/2 small onions finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (or ready chopped garlic in a jar)
1 t Dried Basil
2 cups frozen green peas
1 T Red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 small onion finely sliced
1. Place sliced onions in a non-stick pan with 1 T olive oil. Let onions cook on med-low for 20 minutes until caramelized. Only stirring to make sure they don’t burn.
2. While onions are cooking start the pasta water and cook according to package directions.
3. Add basil, garlic and peas to onion mixture. Add the red pepper flakes and salt and pepper.
4. While pasta is cooking add some of the pasta cooking water to the onion pea mixture.
5. Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet. Return to heat for approximately 3 minutes. Add fresh sliced onion for texture.
We served this with some steamed green beans we found in the freezer.